Why You Should Join UFF-SPC
“I consider it important, indeed urgently necessary, for intellectual workers to get together, both to protect their own economic status and also, generally speaking, to secure their influence in the political field.” -Albert Einstein
All faculty in the bargaining unit will be represented by the CBA our chapter negotiates. Membership, however, builds our collective voice to make us stronger at the negotiating table and more powerful when lobbying the state legislature. The more members we have, the more power we have.
UFF-SPC members have the right to union representation in the case if a grievance or contract violation. Members also have the right to representation at any meeting that could result in disciplinary action. Non-members must represent themselves or seek outside legal assistance.
A Voice in UFF Priorities
UFF-SPC is led by members who define plans and priorities democratically. Members have a say in electing chapter leaders, defining bargaining priorities, and negotiating collective bargaining agreements. Elected representatives represent SPC faculty statewide at UFF Senate and vote on resolutions and political action items.
Follow FEA Member Benefits on Facebook for up-to-date info on existing benefits and limited-time offers.
- The FEA/Access card delivers savings of up to 50% off at more than 350,000 premier shops, restaurants, hotels, retailers and more – across the country and even right in your own neighborhood!
- MyDeals is the FEA/Access mobile app (Google Play and Apple App Store) and gives you show-your-phone discounts at 250,000 places.
- AFT+, the American Federation of Teachers benefit program, offers financial, insurance and travel discounts and member services.
- Many of AFT’s member benefits can be accessed via the Union Plus app (Google Play and Apple App Store).
- NEA Member Benefits also offers members-only insurance programs, financial services and discounts designed to meet your ever-changing needs.
- NEA Educators Employment Liability Program provides members with protection from personal financial liability stemming from employment-related lawsuits. NEA supports state “hold harmless” legislation which requires that the employer pay for your defense or related damages in case you are sued. However, since this is not law in Florida—and because the liability potential can be so serious for individuals—NEA provides all UFF members with professional liability insurance through the NEA Educators Employment Liability (EEL) Program.
- UFF members have access to two different referral programs for legal assistance for non-employment related matters: the NEA Attorney Referral Program, and the AFL-CIO’s Union Plus Legal Program. Both programs screen and pre-select attorneys throughout the state to consult and/or provide select services to UFF members at a substantial discount. Details regarding instructions for each Legal Referral Program for members can be found HERE.
- Contact your UFF-LRS for questions or comments about any of the legal services programs available to UFF chapters and members. Please also feel free to contact the UFF office by phone at 850-224-8220, or by e-mail at [email protected].
- Yet another NEA Member Benefit is Student Loan Debt Relief Webinars. Each webinar is capped at 100 participants, so if you are interested be sure to register ASAP.
In addition to our state and national benefit programs, UFF/FEA members benefit from our ongoing relationship with a team of partners:
- NTA Life provides supplemental health and life insurance products and services to educators.
- Creative Benefits for Educators is owned by the locals of UFF/FEA and was created to make it easy for teachers and school employees to find the best insurance, retirement and financial programs available.